For an in depth guide with more pics and links click here http://gentl.mn/Preppy-Style-Primer
For the accessories in this video, click below:
Pocket square: https://gentl.mn/2kdlLzw
First of all, what is preppy style or prep style? Well, as the name suggests, it was derived from prep schools in about 1910-1912. Boys from affluent households developed that style, entered prep school, and was characterized by school uniforms that were paired with certain accessories such as madras patterns and linen, bolder colors. It always had a nautical vibe to it.
By the 1940's, it had gotten more mainstream and was adapted at Universities, and it became also known as "Ivy Style." Iconic brands that produce that clothing included J. Press, Brooks Brothers, and later also, Andover Shop. Other brands such as Ralph Lauren also picked up on the defining prep style elements and incorporated it into their wardrobe collections.
- A nautical anchor bracelet is something that many people assume is very preppy. Although historically, it's not something that men actually wore.
- It has basically diamonds with overplaid and contrasting colors. That kind of bold mix of colors is exactly what prep students would wear. In terms of colors, you can really choose any combination under the sun.
BARBER WAX JACKET
- has a nice patina, is aged in brown or olive green; it is also very preppy even though it's of English origin.
- They come either in Madras such as here, or in embroidered and woven belts that underline the casual character of a summer prep style.
- Traditionally, they come in a dark brown with a white deck sole that is perfect for being on a boat. You can also find them in Nantucket red, green, yellow, or blue.
CABLE KNIT SWEATER
-Comes in white or ideally, off-white, probably beige and if you want to, you can also add styles like the neckline that's contrasting which you probably have seen in tennis sweaters.
- They come in a cotton twill fabric in khaki, beige, stone and navy. For summer, you can also go with baby blue, Nantucket red that's a mix between salmon, red, and pink or maybe even a light green.
- an embroidered chino called go to hell pants. They're so contrasting that makes suck a statement that you can't really overlook them. It's really a bold statement, but it's nevertheless very preppy.
- Ideally, you should go for a penny loafer or a tassel loafer.
L.L. BEAN BOOT
- is a preppy statement, and it's just very characteristic of the region, definitely something you should invest in.
In terms of colors, Nantucket reds are really popular either in shorts or chinos, not so much in jackets, but it's a unique blend of red, salmon and pink that is loud but nevertheless, classy and prep.
- Often combined with oxford cloth button down shirts.
The OXFORD CLOTH BUTTON DOWN SHIRT
- A soft button down collar, has a chest pocket and overall, barrel cuffs which work well with the overall casual, relaxed style of the preppy nature.
- Comes in all kinds of bold colors ranging from light blue to red, green and yellow.
- They come in olive, or gray, or brown tone and it's very easy to carry along but insulates at the same time.
- Bolder stripes and even numbers and a contrast collar.
- Another fabric that is favorited by the preppy simply because it's lightweight, summery and it's very American.
- In either Madras or linens or bright and bold colors.
- invest in earthy tones and muted patterns simply because it's a very classic look that is worn at Ivy League schools and it's just an integral part of prep style.
#preppy #preppystyle #notsponsored
Want to stay updated? Sign up here for free:
Want to see more videos? Subscribe to our channel!
FREE EBOOK: https://gentl.mn/29OJWwF